a. Communicate new deployment to the users.
b. Execute training plan.
c. Perform data entry or conversion (if relevant)
d. Install System.. 2
e. Post-deployment review.
f. Revise previous documentation.
a. Delivered System.
b. Change Requests.
c. Release/Version Description Document
d. Post deployment review.
In this phase, the system or system modifications are made operational in a production environment.
The phase is initiated after the system has been tested and accepted by the user.
Activities in this phase include notification to end users, execution of previously defined training plan, data entry or conversion, and post deployment review.
Regardless of the type of system, all aspects of the deployment phase should be followed. This will ensure the smoothest possible transition to the organization’s desired goal.
Tasks and activities in the deployment phase are associated with certain deliverables described in section 4. Tasks and activities actually performed depend on the nature of the project.
The notice should include:
- The schedule of the deployment
- a brief description of the benefits of the new system
- the difference between the old and new system
- responsibilities of end user affected by the deployed changes
- the process to obtain technical support, including contact names and phone numbers
The purpose of this review is to document deployment experiences, to recommend system enhancements and to provide guidance for future projects.
In addition, it is important to document any user request for a change to a system.
All relevant documents need to be reviewed and updated taking into consideration changed introduced by the project. An example: report documentation should always reflect current state of the report (its production version)
- Project Manager. The project manager is responsible and accountable for the successful execution of the DEPLOYMENT Phase. The project manager is responsible for leading the team that accomplishes the tasks shown above. The project manager is also responsible for reviewing deliverables for accuracy, approving deliverables and providing status reports to management.
- Project Team. The project team members are responsible for accomplishing assigned tasks as directed by the project manager.
Template – ChangeRequestForm.doc
Template – ReleaseDescription.doc
Once a system has been developed, tested and deployed it will enter the operations and maintenance phase. All development resources and documentation should be transferred to IT Library or to IT Helpdesk staff.